There are about 11 million people in the UK alone who are deaf or hard of hearing – that’s one in six of the population. Did you know that 9 in every 10 deaf children are born to hearing parents, but only 1 in 10 of those parents will learn sign language to be able to communicate fully with their son or daughter. (Sign Health)
Schools, Scouts & Youth Clubs
Would your school and scout group like to be part of our legacy and join our mission to collectively help raise deaf awareness among the wider community. Why the need?
Enable us to continue empowering future generations by supporting our schools and scouts outreach programme where not only do we teach facts and stats, but we empower them with deaf awareness knowledge and inspire them about sign language.
"A deaf person is twice as likely to experience anxiety, stress and suffer from depression as a result of social isolation and communication barriers growing up." (World Health Organisation)
We are pleased to share with you our new unique video course introducing you to basic British Sign Language BSL by Amin &Yasmin.
We take you on an interactive journey covering 15 essential topics for everyday situations. This bitesize video series is suitable for all members of the family, teachers, support staff, social workers, youth workers, homeschoolers, scout leaders and anyone with a basic interest in BSL or existing student looking to refresh their skills.
The entire course is shot in beautiful HD resolution and all our videos include close captioning and colourful images to assist your learning even if you're deaf or hard of hearing. Each topic has been intentionally made short and sharp allowing you to pause, practice and repeat all over again. Ideal interactive learning whether you are delivering a mini workshop, assembly or an extracurricular activity in class or at home.
Learning BSL enriches and enhances your cognitive processes: higher abstract and creative thinking, better problem-solving, greater cognitive flexibility, and also promotes cultural awareness, literacy, and other intellectual benefits.
With Over 145,000 Deaf People in the UK...How Can You Make a Difference?
- Do you have a deaf friend or family member that you’d love to be able to use sign language with?
- Have you yourself suffered hearing loss and are struggling to communicate with the outside world?
- Do you work with deaf or hearing-impaired people and feel inadequate when you are unable to interact with them?
- Do you want to become a more caring and inclusive member of society?
All too often, deaf and hearing-impaired people are overlooked, and struggle to communicate with a world that doesn’t speak their language. Today we offering you the opportunity to make a difference in your life and the lives of others by learning the basics of BSL (British Sign Language), so you can start to communicate on a more personal level with the deaf community and play a fuller part in society.
- Increased Brain Functionality - Learning any new language has huge benefits for your brain's functionality; it challenges your brain to recognise and negotiate meaning, a skill which can be translated across many problem-solving tasks.
- Multitasking Skills - For people, and children, who learn Sign Language they improve their ability to be able to switch between tasks. This is due to being able to switch between different structures easily. Previous studies have even proven that people who are multilingual make fewer errors when driving.
- Improved Memory - The brain has often been compared to a muscle, because it functions better with exercise. Learning BSL involves a lot of memorising and has often been proven to improve a person's long term memory. For a child who is learning British Sign Language, they are likely to find improved performance in other academic areas.
- Easier to Learn Another Language - The acquisition techniques you gain whilst learning British Sign Language can be applied to learning any new language. The many positive cognitive benefits can be replicated along the process of learning further languages.
If you have not already you can download our FREE APP to help you practice and begin learning islamic sign language today!